He was affectionately known as Tubby and was born in Huddersfield in England in 1905 and migrated to West Australia in 1923. Three years after arriving in the country Tubby formed the Dalwallinu Soccer Club, his worth was soon recognized and the following year he captained the Ballidu association team to victory in the Country Cup. His team defeated the Harvey Association in the semi final to get to the final At this time he was employed by the West Australian Railways and the W.A.Wheat Board and moved around quite a bit, we next find him in 1928 at Mt Marshall and once again he led that team when they won the Country Cup.

He had now been identified as one of the top country soccer players and was selected to play for the W.A.Country team against the strong Metropolitan X1. Tubby was selected to play for the West Australian State team in 1930 which was going to play in South East Asia. In 1931 he tried his hand at playing for the Perth teams of Caledonians and Thistle and played with such West Australian greats as Alex Marr and Tom Guthrie. While playing for Thistle in 1938 he sustained an injury and never played again.

Tubbby thought to much of soccer to lose interest in the sports welfare and believed he had plenty to offer to the game. Moving around with his employment the Wheat Board management transferred him to Bunbury in 1950, so true to form he sets about organizing a soccer club in the town. We see his team which was called Bunbury City commence playing social matches in 1951 and then he entered the team into the Collie League in 1952. This team went on to win the 1952 Collie Championship and the May & Charity Cups, over the years his team Bunbury City won few titles and cups.

At this point in time Tubby was also the instigator and founder member of the South Western District Soccer Association and the Bunbury & Districts Soccer Association, at this point in time he was President of his club, the Bunbury Soccer Association and was Chairman of the South Western Association. In 1953 he coached the Bunbury Association to victory in the South West Cup held at Bunbury, this was the first time Bunbury had won this trophy and it was 24 years since they had been in the final for this cup, the last time being 1930.

Mr.T. H. Getley’s legacy lives on with Bunbury now being the stronghold of soccer in the southwest and this some might say can be traced back to Tubby Getley who formed the first soccer club in Bunbury after the 2nd World War. He will be remembered for the outstanding contribution he has made to southwest soccer.

2004 Inducted into the SW Hall of Fame.